This Week in Rust and WebAssembly 006
Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust and WebAssembly!
Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed.
WebAssembly is a stack-based virtual machine and instruction set. It is fast, safe, portable, and part of the open Web platform. By compiling to WebAssembly, we can run Rust code on the Web!
This is a weekly summary of Rust and WebAssembly’s progress and community.
Did we miss something? Tweet to us at @rustwasm or send us a pull request.
Want to get involved in Rust and WebAssembly? Join the Rust and WebAssembly working group!
New Tools, Crates, and Projects
- Railway diagram generator for Rust macro_rules! macros with a wasm demo
- A work-in-progress pull request to expose Wasm SIMD intrinsics to stdsimd
- A work-in-progress prototype of using DWARF debug info in Firefox’s debugger.html to debug inlined stack frames in Rust+Wasm programs
- Here is a gif of the prototype in action!
- WIP spec work: here and here
- WIP branches: here and here
News and Releases
- An official subcharter of the W3C wasm WG for debugging has been created
- Announcing initial release of
wasm-bindgen-futures! Seamlessly convert back and forth between Rust
- Cleaned up the book’s existing “Tools” section into the curated and opinionated “Tools You Should Know” section.
- Added a curated and opinionated “Crates You Should Know” section to the book.
Articles, Blog Posts, and Talks
- Saving millions of dollars with Rust and WebAssembly
- @ashleygwilliams gave a super awesome talk at Rust Berlin. Here are the slides. Recording coming soon!
- AR paint project, built with Js + Rust/wasm at wafflejs - slides
- “Leveraging Jupyter, Rust, and WebAssembly for Browser-Based Visual Data Exploration” video slides – a talk given by @munkm at SciPy on July 13 about using rust/wasm backed modules for visualizing datasets in jupypter notebooks.
Requests for Contribution
- Join the Rust and WebAssembly Working Group!
- Expose bindings to ALL the global JS things
- Help build the
web-syscrate by enabling bindings generation for more WebIDL interfaces!
extends = ...attributes to