This Week in Rust and WebAssembly 002
Hello and welcome to another issue of This Week in Rust and WebAssembly!
Rust is a systems language pursuing the trifecta: safety, concurrency, and speed.
WebAssembly is a stack-based virtual machine and instruction set. It is fast, safe, portable, and part of the open Web platform. By compiling to WebAssembly, we can run Rust code on the Web!
This is a weekly summary of Rust and WebAssembly’s progress and community.
Did we miss something? Tweet to us at @rustwasm or send us a pull request.
Want to get involved in Rust and WebAssembly? Join the Rust and WebAssembly working group!
New Tools, Crates, and Projects
- Cervus implements a WebAssembly “usermode” on top of the Linux kernel, enabling wasm applications to run directly in ring 0, while still ensuring safety and security.
- An experimental Rust parser for WordPress Gutenberg post format.
- The wasm-to-rust tool allows you to compile any WebAssembly binary into Rust source code that you can then compile with Rust.
- Tool to compile a Gameboy emulator written in AssemblyScript (WebAssembly subset of TypeScript) to Rust
News and Releases
- wee_alloc 0.4.0 released
- wasm-snip 0.1.3 released
- wasm-pack 0.2.0 released
- wbg-rand 0.4.0 released
- twiggy 0.1.0 released
- Futures 0.2 support stdweb
- Text adventure / fighting game made with rust and WebAssembly
- http added WebAssembly to their CI
- Replacing JS parser with Rust using WebAssembly resulted 50.8x faster
- Chrono can be used in your Rust and WebAssembly library
- musl’s libm compiled to wasm with clang 7 and then compiled to Rust
Articles, Blog Posts, and Talks
- Using LLVM from Rust, to generate WebAssembly
- Mozilla packs Rust software for NPM - wasm-pack!
- How does dynamic dispatch (trait objects) work in WebAssembly
- Rust and WebAssembly tutorial
- Face detection in WebAssembly
- A Rust + WebAssembly + Web Workers fractal renderer
- Faciliter le développement d’applications Web performantes avec WebAssembly
Requests for Contribution
- Request for library
- Request for contributors